As I unfold my mat every morning I try to find different ways to ensure that the practice remains alive, fresh and enjoyable. In the process of creating my DVD Yoga: Here + Now I tried to create a list of basic ideas that would be useful to people starting to practice. As I reflected on these ideas, I was interested in presented some clear, simple and easy to follow guidelines that could be applied to all styles of Yoga. I hope that these basic principles might be of help in being fully present in your Yoga practice:
- The breath is the integrating axis of our practice. Our breath is continuous, fluid and comfortable, without any abruptness
- Synchronize all movements with each inhalation and each exhalation
- Each posture has a firm foundation, so the parts of the body that are in contact with the floor press down firmly
- In each posture we balance strength and flexibility, so we activate our muscles as much as is appropriate, without forcing and without pain
- We respect our body, mind and breath. In each pose, at all levels, we do as much as we can without doing too little and without doing too much
- We make our practice enjoyable, so at the end of practice we are relaxed, energized and calm
I am aware that there are always ways to get clearer. It would be excellent if you could shared your experience in trying to apply these principles in your practice so that I can continue learning. Thank you!